Wardrobe Architect Project – Pants Completed

My goal this year is to not buy any clothes for myself and to refresh my wardrobe with items that I like enough wear but also fit well and look good. I’ve just completed the first of my wardrobe basics; a navy pair of pants. You may recall in an earlier post that I decided to try out Butterick B5222 by Connie Crawford; it had been described by several reviews as a great pants pattern that suits all sizes and shapes.

Well I stitched the last stitch to them today and voila!! I’m pretty happy with the outcome for two reasons: firstly this is the first pair of pants I’ve made for about 20 years and secondly, while not perfect, I’m pretty happy with the outcome and know that I’m going to be happy to wear them.

pants 20140127 (2)

The fabric (a poly-viscose from my Tessuti stash) was a dream to sew and they pressed up very nicely. I’m glad I did the muslin beforehand as I ended up making a few adjustments to the pattern. I like the fit around my hips and bottom and across my tummy; given the roundness of these areas a good fit has always been a challenge for me. I adjusted the back seam more that the pattern required and next time I’ll lower the top of the back; it sits a bit high. I should have adjusted the pattern further to take account of required length as I still needed to cut more off each leg and had to make adjustments so that the hem would sit correctly and this is always tricky. But given that pants with side pockets don’t always sit well on me I’m very happy with these.

My only criticisms are minor. Given that this pattern is specially designed for full-figured women’s proportions like me, I’m a little disappointed that so much information was included in the instructions for armhole, bust and shoulder adjustments – a bit odd for a pants only pattern. The adjustment guide for the crotch fit was good and for the back seam but there was really nothing for a round tummy. I would however use this pattern again.

End result: a nice pair of pants to wear to work that will go with a few of my favourite tops.
The cost:
$44 for the fabric,
$5 for the pattern (a special)
$3 for the zipper
$3 for the thread
$0 for the button (stash)
Total of $55

BTW excuse the picture, not my best and doesn’t show off the trousers that well!  Oh well.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply, I do enjoy reading your comments

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s